Divorce Paperwork Necessary In California

Law Blog

If you have been thinking about starting a divorce or legal separation, the paperwork may seem daunting. In California, there is a specific set of paperwork you must file in order to initiate the process. Understanding the required information ahead of time will help you make smart decisions about the upcoming proceedings.

Petition - Marriage/Domestic Partnership (FL-100)

This petition is the first you will submit when you are looking to start a divorce or legal separation. This form will ask you to list the dates, property you own together, debts you owe, and children you have.

Summons (FL-110)

This is the document required to send to your partner or spouse notifying them that a court case has been initiated. The summons will also notify your partner or spouse of the events that will occur in the event that he or she does not respond to the summons within 30 days.

Proof of Service of Summons (FL-115)

This document is used to inform the court that you have served papers to your spouse or domestic partner. Generally, you are not allowed to serve the papers yourself. You may need to rely on a process service to complete this step.

Declaration Under Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction & Enforcement Act (FL-105/GC-120)

This divorce paperwork is only necessary if you have minor children, those under the age of 18. You must fill out the form and file it along with your petition. This document is used to inform the court of the child's residence. This document will also include information about other custody orders involving you, your partner, and the child(ren) in question.

Child Custody and Visitation Application Attachment (FL-311)

This form is optional and only necessary if you have minor children. You would need to fill out this form if you want to ensure that you provide an adequate overview of your current custody arrangement.

Property Declaration (Family Law) Form (FL-160)

This form is necessary for those who require more than the allotted amount of space to list any property you own and debts you may owe. The form allows you to list each item individually, as well as each owed debt. You also need to specify whether each item is community, meaning it belongs to both of you, or separate, meaning that it is solely yours or your partner's.  

No matter what kind of divorce you are going through, these documents may be required in California to ensure that you do not miss any steps along the way.


14 June 2016

Choosing To Fight

Although I am far from perfect, I have focused on abiding by the local laws for the vast majority of my life. Unfortunately, about five years ago, I realized that I was being accused of a crime that I didn't commit. I thought about letting the trial run its course, but then I realized that fighting would be important to ensure my future. I teamed up with a great lawyer, and things became much easier overnight. My legal counsel told me what to do and what to avoid, and he was able to prove the facts in a court of law. This blog is all about choosing to fight charges.